We created our “Know the Law” series of publications, and more, so you can find answers to questions about your rights and responsibilities at any time. Click on the links below under each topic area to get more information specific to that topic, or check out the whole “Know the Law” series.
Questions about a child care subsidy? Received an NOA?
If you have a subsidy to help pay for child care (through a child care center, family child care home, or license-exempt provider ) and have a question about a “Notice of Action” or hearings, contact Angela Breslin, firstname.lastname@example.org. Our short video explains three things parents should know about a Notice of Action, in English and en Español.
As a parent, you have rights to notice, hearings, and appeals regarding your child care subsidy.
You can also contact us with questions about how to enforce these rights.
Looking for Information about Immunization Requirements?
The Administration for Children and Families asserts that it’s critical that children in early childhood programs are vaccinated according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention immunization recommendations. In addition to the vaccinations that a state requires to enter child care, Head Start programs are required to help children in their care become current with their vaccinations. New guidance for child care programs explains the rules. California law has strict conditions parents must meet if they do not immunize and want their children to attend child care.
Looking for information about child care for children with disabilities?
Federal and state laws provide protections for children with disabilities in child care programs. You can call us with questions about what these protections mean for your family. Know the law about including children with disabilities in child care programs.
We also provide resources for child care providers – that may be of interest to parents – about how to care for children with challenging behaviors.
Looking for resources specific to foster parents?
Our Fact Sheet and Reference Chart Child Care Subsidies for Children in Child Welfare System explains what subsidies children in the child welfare system may be eligible for.
You can also contact us with questions about whether the children in your care may be eligible for these programs.
Questions about licensed and license-exempt child care in California?
Family child care homes and child care centers are examples of licensed child care. Nannies, summer camps and family members are examples of license-exempt care.
California’s Child Care Licensing Program explains the general licensing and health and safety rules for licensed child care in California.
Looking for child care or help paying for child care?
Here are a couple of links to find your local child care resource & referral agency:
- Child Care Aware. Type your zip code into the red box “Free Child Care Search” in the lower right corner
- California Department of Education – Listing of Resource & Referral agencies by county
Wondering about how Paid Family Leave works?
Paid Family Leave provides partial wages for parents to bond with a newborn, adopted or foster child, or care for a child (or other family member) who needs ongoing medical care.
- Visit the Employment Development Department to find out if you are eligible. The key requirement is that you have paid into State Disability Insurance through your employer – generally, it will show up as a “CA SDI” deduction.
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- California Child Care Health Program Hotline
- California Child Development Services Immigration Status Non-Discrimination Provision
- California Code of Regulations California Dept of Education Title 5
- California Courts Self-Help Information
- California Department of Education Contractor Funding Terms and Conditions
- California Department of Education Management Bulletin 13-04 (Parent Appeals)
- California Department of Fair Housing and Employment (DFEH)
- California Disabled Persons Act
- California Education Code
- Child Care Advocate Program, Cal. Dept. of Social Services
- Child Care Aware
- Child Care Licensing Program
- Child Care Resource and Referral Agency
- Community Alliance for Special Education (CASE)
- Disability Rights California
- Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund (DREDF)
- Disability Rights Legal Center
- Domestic Workers Wage Rights Fact Sheet
- Early Start Program – Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Family Resource Centers Network of California
- Government Code Section 11135
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Know the Law About Contracts Between Parents and Child Care Providers in California (Document)
- Know the Law About Disabilities and Challenging Behaviors in California (Document)
- Know the Law About License-Exempt Child Care in California (Document)
- Know the Law About The Americans with Disabilities Act and Child Care (Document)
- Know the Law About Who May Pick a Child Up From Child Care in California (Document)
- Low-Cost & Free Legal Assistance in California
- Learning Rights Law Center
- National Women’s Law Center
- Paid Family Leave
- Parent Voices
- Protection & Advocacy Systems
- Regional Centers – Services for Individuals with Developmental Disabilities
- Megan’s Law – Registered Sex Offenders
- Special Education Rights and Responsibilities Handbook
- State Bar of California Lawyer Referral Service
- Trustline – Background Checks for In-Home Care
- U.S. Department of Justice Publications on Child Care and the Americans with Disabilities Act