SB 234 Keeping Kids Close to Home – Resources
Update: SB 234 passed the Senate Floor vote, 38-0! The bill will now go to the Assembly side.
To meet the needs of today’s families, SB 234 supports family child care close to home so parents can work and children can thrive, immediately and in the future.
How SB 234 works:
- It equalizes the local permitting process for family child care homes that care for up to 14 children, closing loopholes that have led to an uneven application by cities and burdensome
- It clarifies that family child care can operate in all types of residential settings close to
where families live, in all communities.
- It updates housing protections for family child care providers so families have the loving,
home-like environment they want for their children.
Author: Senator Nancy Skinner
Cosponsors: Child Care Law Center, California Child Care Resource and Referral Network, SEIU California, UDW/AFSCME Local 3930
Need to Know Information
– The Basics One-Pager
– Hearing Dates
*Assembly Committee, TBA
*Senate Appropriations Committee, 4/29/19 – Passed out of committee and ordered to second reading pursuant to Senate Rule 28.8.
*Senate Judiciary Committee, 4/2/19 – Passed out of committee on consent. Download the Senate Judiciary Committee’s analysis, here. The list of those who sent in support letters can be found at the end of the analysis.
*Senate Human Services Committee, 3/11/19 – Passed out of committee 6-0, watch here. Read the Senate Human Services bill analysis, here. The list of those who sent in support letters can be found at the end of the analysis.
– Parent and Provider Experiences
*Do you have a personal story to share? Email Julia Frudden
How YOU Can Pass the Bill:
– Call and email your State Assemblymember and ask them to support SB 234.
– Attend a committee hearing where SB 234 is being heard.
First time advocating for a state bill? Read: What to Expect at a Legislative Committee Hearing.
– Get active on Twitter and Facebook! Use #SB234 #KeepKidsClose2Home
– If you’re a family child care provider in California, sign up for email updates and opportunities to support the bill, here.
In the News:
- News Clip: KTXL FOX – Sacramento
- News Clip: KABC ABC – Los Angeles
- Sen. Skinner Unveils Bill to Expand Childcare Opportunities
- Senator Nancy Skinner announces SB 234 the “Keeping Kids Close to Home Act”
- Workers Rights – Legislation dismantles zoning restrictions
– Email Senior Staff Attorney Laurie Furstenfeld.