Legal Issues for Family Child Care Providers – License-exempt Child Care in California | Requirements


I am a professional musician and would like to offer music classes in my home to a small group of kids during spring break. Do I need a child care license?


No, you do not need a child care license (you are “exempt”), so long as:

  • You operate only during periods of the year when students in kindergarten and grades 1-12 in the public school district where the program is located are not in school due to regularly scheduled school vacations and
  • The total sessions do not add up to more than 30 days (if only school-age children are enrolled in the program) or 15 days total (if children younger than school-age are enrolled in the program) and
  • You provide activities “of an instructional nature in a classroom-like setting.”

These are the requirements for exemption from needing a child care license for your type of situation. As long as you meet these requirements, you may offer music lessons in your home without a license.

For more information, check out our Know the Law publication about License-Exempt Child Care in California. If you have more questions about licensing, the state’s Child Care Advocate Program may also be a useful resource.

Legal Disclaimer

This question and answer is intended to provide general information about the topic covered. It is made available with the understanding that the Child Care Law Center is not engaged in rendering legal or other professional advice. We believe it is current as of October 2014 but the law changes often. If you need legal advice, you should consult an attorney who can specifically advise or represent you.