2018 California Child Care Budget Advocacy
Supporting children from the beginning of their life lays the foundation for a brighter future for everyone: Children will be ready for school, their families are able to work and provide for their needs, and our communities grow stronger.
What is the 2018 child care budget request?
Lawmakers need to allocate $1 billion in new funds to help more families pay for child care and invest in growing the supply of affordable care for babies and toddlers.
Why we need it:
- Our youngest children need the most care, but the least help is available for their families.
- The state hasn’t invested enough in the growth of affordable care for our youngest children, so many child care providers have shut down or cut services.
- Hundreds of thousands of families are being forced to make tough choices about where to leave their children when they go to work.
The impact it will make:
- Increasing the number of vouchers by 100,000, we will enable more parents to work because they will have help paying for child care
- Increased support from the state will help child care providers open their doors to babies and toddlers
- California will help more families when they need it the most, when their children are at their youngest and most vulnerable age.
With this investment, California will be creating a more seamless support system for children from the beginning of life to preschool and beyond.
Need to Know Information:
- April 5th, 2018 – Joint Senate Hearing Subcommittee 1 and 3 on Child Care and Early Childhood Education – Watch here
- May 14th, 2018 – Senate Budget Subcommittee 1 on Education – Click here for the agenda and spending package (page 4)
- May 15th 9 am – Assembly Budget Subcommittee 2 on Education Finance: May Revise Child Care Overview – Watch here
- May 23rd 9 am – Assembly Budget Subcommittee 2 on Education Finance: May Revise Child Care Closeout – Click here for the agenda
-Other Important Dates
- Tuesday, May 29th, ECE Coalition Lobby Day in Sacramento
How YOU can help:
-Tell your state representatives that you support a $1 billion increase in child care funding and ask them to prioritize this funding increase in their budget request.
-Do you have a personal story to share about how this funding will help you, your child care, or your family? Email Julia Frudden at firstname.lastname@example.org